The end of the narrator's Liberty Paints journey - "I had lost irrevocably an important victory"

 The entirety of the Liberty Paints chapter was a metaphor-filled, wild adventure that resembled the same absurdist dream-like scenarios we saw in previous chapters. The narrator was thrown from one task to another, encountering obstacle after obstacle that only got more outlandish as it went on. Putting the wrong substance into the buckets of paint, getting almost ambushed by first the union workers, then by Brockway, and finally culminating with a literal explosion. We talked some in class about what the chapter, and Liberty Paints as a company, represented as an allegory, and there were many interesting blog posts I read about it. In addition to that, I think it's interesting to think about what the narrator's day at Liberty Paints meant for his story.

The chapter ends with the narrator laying in the rubble of the explosion, hearing an old man say that "these here young Nineteen-Hundred boys ain't no good for the job. They ain't got the nerves" (Ellison 230). The narrator then thinks, "I tried to speak, to answer, but something heavy moved again, and I was understanding something fully and trying again to answer but seemed to sink to the center of a lake of heavy water and pause, transfixed and numb with the sense that I had lost irrevocably an important victory" (Ellison 230). What is this "important victory" that the narrator had lost? In the light of the idea that the narrator was taking his life into his own hands for once, and making his own way in life instead of being a puppet, this monumental failure of a first day at a job - even if it wasn't entirely his own fault - would be a huge blow to any sense of direction or drive. He had already been hit hard with the news of what basically amounted to his expulsion from college, and had thrown himself back into the "game" with a vengeance and a drive to make the first move this time. That "first move" lasted all of a day and ended up with him in the hospital (appearing to have very dubious experimental procedures performed on him???). 

In the chapters after Liberty Paints and the hospital, you can see how the narrator was drifting kind of aimlessly - "I had lost my sense of direction... Sometimes, when there was still money, or when I had earned a few dollars waiting table, I'd eat out and wander the streets until late at night" (Ellison 258). The entirety of his Liberty Paints experience was what truly disillusioned him and left him without a purpose or an ideal to pursue. Which makes me wonder, what would have happened if he had won that "important victory"? What would "winning" look like, and would the future narrator, with his more developed view of the world, still see that as winning? 


Ellison, Ralph. Invisible Man. New York: Vintage International, 1995. Print.

Comments

  1. I liked how you centered in on this moment in the book, and I think you are right in doing so. I think that this scene is very chaotic and shows the narrator's world kind of crumbling down around him. I am interested to know the importance of this victory, and I'm not sure I fully understand it seeing as the slightly abstract nature of the story so far. However, I do think this is a somewhat pivotal moment in the book and leaves me wondering. I am interested to see if this manifests later in the book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first interpretation, which I admit is kind of shakey, was that the explosion of the factory represented the explosion and end of his attempts to pursue mainstream success and stay on the beaten path

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I feel like the narrator expected Liberty Paints to be the start of something great. To him, this was the start of his new life without the university and Bledsoe. He was breaking the cycle that others had set for him with their "keep this n* boy running". It was his first time truly trying to do something by himself (though he did namedrop to get it) and it failed. That has to be devestating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of skip over the Liberty Paints arc in my mind since it almost seems to take us out of the main storyline for the narrator, but you're right, it's definitely telling about the narrator and a good predictor of the chaos that he continues to encounter after he is done with the factory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This effect at the end of the chapter--where the narrator feels certain he has "lost" something "irrevocable" but can't quite name it or specify it--prefigures the entire experience in the "factory hospital," where he's constantly "losing" or forgetting things and is disoriented to an extreme degree. The way he searches helplessly when asked his own name, and feels shame at his inability to call forth this information, reminds me of these final moments where he's floating in a darkness that is also somehow whiteness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts